Holdfast: Nations At War has been updated! There’s a new map to dive into for this week’s release. Situated atop hilly areas, you’ll find plenty of natural and man-made defensive positions to make your stand on Camp Salamanca. We’ll also be pushing forward changes to combat mechanics within this update.
Have a read of our latest blog post for more on what’s to come.
A New Map. Camp Salamanca!
Rich with natural resources, the garrison in the area made good use of all that is available to fortify one of the highest positions. Camp Salamanca sits overlooking a farmhouse close to its vicinity leading to a secluded church.
Expect plenty of combat to occur on this terrain as the attackers attempt to capture the fortified camp in a siege. Salamanca is playable on the Siege, Battlefield, Conquest and Deathmatch game modes. Hop in on one of the Army Front official servers to check it out.
There are some changes to existing combat mechanics coming with this update. We redesigned the way damage is dealt to players when struck with a melee weapon, improved player to player collisions, blocking responsiveness and various other changes.
The mechanic which dictates the damage received by a player when struck by a melee weapon has been redesigned to favour consistency.
When it comes to the use of bayonets, striking your opponent with this weapon on their upper body will guarantee a one-hit strike. The only exception to this rule is if you significantly drag your strike after you release your left-click. In this case, you must end your opponent by landing another strike.
When it comes to strikes that hit the lower body, you must land no more or less than two strikes to finish your opponent off.
You are guaranteed to end a player in two strikes by landing a right or left swing on your opponent while having a sword equipped. The same goes for a lunge strike. Upswing strikes are still as deadly as they were before and your enemy will meet their end with a single strike.
Player To Player Collisions
We have worked on improving player to player collisions to reduce instances of players clipping inside one another while staying up close and personal. A preventive measure to reduce instances where players clip inside one another while aiming downwards with a strike has also undergone development.
Blocking mechanics have undergone a few adjustments to improve their responsiveness. We have also slightly reduced the pace at which players can feint a strike to further aid with this.
Right and left swings from sword strikes no longer collide with the terrain. This will further responsiveness when a player using this weapon is engaged in combat on uneven terrain.
Arena Game Mode
Players are now able to switch classes as well as the faction they initially joined without disconnecting from the server. We’re sure that players actively playing this mode will find it a welcoming addition as teams can be balanced more easily.
What’s Next? Work In Progress
Prepare to set sail once more as there’s going to be a relatively sizable naval oriented update hitting the decks! The Coastal Siege game mode, a favourite amongst players on this warfront, will be making its way back into the game.
With the same update, multiple server configuration settings to make events more interesting will be introduced. They’ll pave the way ahead for engaging roleplay scenarios to occur. Those with an avid interest in organised events will indeed be delighted to hear that we have more plains maps in the works.
Pending that we won’t require shifting some of our development efforts on hotfixes for the most recent additions, we estimate that the BETA for the naval oriented update will kickstart in two weeks.
Holdfast NaW. Development Roadmap
During the coming weeks, we’ll be updating our development roadmap to keep you abreast on our progress. For all those good fellows reading our blog posts, by now you should already be aware that we have multiple developers working on different updates. Player-built defences, destruction and various other game-play oriented features much requested by the community.
Be sure to keep a look out for this!
Community. Join The Discord!
Looking for a good bunch of fellows to play the game with? Do join our Discord! Linebattle events were players are encouraged to play in formations relevant to the Napoleonic era are hosted by the community through the week.
Discord is a great place to be to stay in touch with the game’s development. Feedback is always greatly welcomed. We look forward to seeing you there!
Here’s the entire list of additional features, bug fixes, improvements and content that you’ll find in this update.
Changelog 29 - Game Version 0.27.7046.36487
New Game Features & Additions
- A New Map! Camp Salamanca. Join one of the Army Front servers to check it out.
» Input the following parameter to play this map on your community server: map_name campsalamanca
- Revisited the rotation present on the Army Front official servers based on community feedback.
- Players are now able to switch classes as well as the faction they initially joined on the Melee Arena game mode without disconnecting from the server.
- The mechanic which dictates the damage received by a player when struck by a melee weapon has been redesigned to favour consistency. Strikes will now deal a set amount of damage pending on if they land on the upper or lower body.
- Player to player collisions have been improved to reduce instances of players clipping inside one another while staying up close and personal.
- Introduced a preventive measure to reduce instances where players clip inside one another while aiming downwards with a strike.
- Blocking mechanics have undergone a few adjustments to improve their responsiveness.
- Slightly reduced the pace at which players can feint a strike to further aid with blocking responsiveness.
- Right and left swings from sword strikes no longer collide with the terrain.
- Increased the stun timer that disallows a player to commit to another strike after they get hit to favour blocking.
- Reduced the rate of fire of rocket artillery by increasing the time it takes to load a rocket by 2 seconds.
- Reduced the blast radius of the rocket.
- Solved an issue which caused the cannon ball’s hitbox to be larger than that of the model itself.
- Reduced the damage done in an area when a round shot hits the terrain or an object on the world map.
- Performed a minor game engine upgrade.
- Client-side optimisations to improve framerate when a lot of players are on screen.
- Server-side optimisations to reduce data throughput.
- Lobby optimisations to reduce data throughput.
- Solved an instance which caused the map to randomly switch to the first one in rotation in the middle of the match.
- Solved an issue which caused the player’s ragdoll when killed by a grape shot to animate incorrectly.
- Solved an error that was sometimes being outputted when playing on Tahir Desert.
- Solved an error that was sometimes being outputted when shooting at a rocket launcher with a firearm.
- Solved an issue on the Melee Arena game mode which caused a team to win rounds repeatedly if no players remain in the opposing team.
- Solved an issue which caused a player to always strike upwards if they rotate to the left and strike.
Quality Of Life
- Player name plates when having the ‘Show Player Names’ options enabled, will now continue to rotate with the player even if the player dies.
- The ‘Show Player Names’ option no longer switches back to its default value after closing the game.
- The ‘Escape’ menu no longer appears if you minimise the game while in freeflight or spectate mode.
- Flattened out the terrain on Palisade Arena and removed the poles present on the map.
- Removed the trees present on Watchtower Arena to improve visibility when playing.
Changelog 29 (Hotfix) - Game Version 0.27.7047.40095
- Solved a server-side issue related to player movement.
Once again, we thank you for your support and may good health be yours.
Discuss this blog post here.
Once again thank you for all of your support from all of us on the Holdfast: NaW team,
- Refleax, Rycon, Dreas, Wrexial, PingPong, Walki, Cameron & Rejenorst
Anvil Game Studios