Holdfast: Nations At War has been updated! Following the release of consecutive major content updates during the past year featuring rocket artillery, the 50-Gun Frigate, player-built defences, leader boards and the much-anticipated introduction of cavalry units, it is now due time to place our focus towards game polish.
Due to the unprecedented number of changes tackling all fronts, we’ll be going straight to the change log in this blog post. Should you face any issues whilst playing, please do report them to us on Discord and we'll be sure to see to it.
Community. Join The Discord!
Looking for a good bunch of fellows to play the game with? Do join our Discord! Linebattle events where players are encouraged to play in formations relevant to the Napoleonic era are hosted by the community through the week. Discord is also a great place to be to stay in touch with the game’s development. Feedback is always greatly welcomed.
If you’re a fellow in the ranks of a regiment, go declare your enlistment. Through this, you can gather access to the ‘Field Camp’ where regimental specific discussion ensues. We look forward to seeing you there!
Come have a read for all that you’ll find in this release.
Changelog 47 - Game Version 0.41.7333.32655
- Solved multiple issues which resulted in increased memory over longer periods of runtime.
- Solved multiple issues which resulted in decreased server responsiveness over longer periods of runtime.
- Performed several server-side optimisations on maps playable on different game modes.
- Solved an issue where an error was being produced when a player hits a mounted cavalryman with an artillery shot.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player makes use of the auto-join function to spawn.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player attempts to fire a rocket from the emplacement.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player places sandbags on earthworks.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when trying to process the ‘Hornblower’ achievement.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the server when a player damages another ship using an artillery piece and disconnects.
- Servers which become full will have their connect button greyed out.
- The logic for how maps load within the game has received a complete overhaul to improve load times and reduce inconsistencies. An issue where the player would occasionally load the map of the previous round has also been taken care of.
- Performed multiple optimisations on Cavalry Units to improve framerate.
- Performed multiple optimisations on the Scoreboard to improve framerate.
- Performed multiple optimisations on various User Interface elements to improve framerate.
- Performed multiple optimisations on VoIP to improve framerate.
- Performed an optimisation on the water shader present on land-based maps to improve framerate.
- Solved an instance where players experienced a sudden spike in framerate when they launched the Voice Acting panel for the first time.
- Ragdoll Corpses are now adjusted according to the player-selected graphical preset. Using lower graphical settings will reduce the number of corpses in the field of battle, therefore, improving the framerate.
- Players are now able to toggle off horse-related effects through the game options. They are disabled by default when using the low and very low presets.
» Toggling off horse-related effects will also disable audio related to horse movement. We want to look into this in a future update.
- Players are now able to toggle off destruction debris through the game options. They are disabled by default when using the low and very low presets.
- Players are now able to toggle off environmental clutter to prevent birds and other small props from showing through the game options. They are disabled by default when using the low and very low presets.
- Performed various optimisations on the Causeways map.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the client when a player dies or dismounts from horseback.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced on the client when scrolling through the scoreboard.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when a player fired a chain shot.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when a player interacted with an artillery piece.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when a player gets trampled.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when attempting to connect to the lobby.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when the naval vessel you’re crewing sinks.
- Solved an instance where an error was being produced when the player gathered a score.
Game Responsiveness - Server Configuration
- You are no longer able to host game servers capped to run lower than 60 FPS.
- Players that join game servers not running optimally will be warned that their gameplay experience is consequently being impacted.
» Game servers running below 60 FPS will result in delayed melee combat, shooting and interactions irrespective of the player's ping.
- You should ensure that your community or event servers are running at a stable framerate by using the ‘rc get serverFPS’ command.
» Issue 10 instances of the above command during gameplay and if it shows that your server’s framerate was constantly below 60 FPS, you should expect melee combat amongst other mechanics within the game to be delayed.
- Introduced functionality allowing servers to automatically restart based on a specific set schedule.
» Anvil Game Studios Official servers will be set to restart daily improving game responsiveness.
» You can find more information detailing this system's use below.
» Documentation - Holdfast Automated Shutdown Systems
- Game servers will now automatically relaunch themselves following an unexpected crash.
Gameplay - Melee Combat
- Removed the cooldown previously applied to disincentivise feint over-use as this introduced unnecessary block delay.
- Decreased the rate at which players can issue secondary attacks. Shoves and kicks now have a longer cooldown.
- Reduced the damage shoves and kicks deal when the ‘Resilient’ trait is in effect for both the Infantry Officer and Grenadier classes from 5 to 2. Classes sporting the ‘Resilient’ trait will now meet their end within 4 secondary attack hits instead of 2 if they have already been stricken with a bayonet in their upper body.
- Preventive measure towards players utilising crouching to hide melee strikes. Strikes will now remain in hold position for a longer duration if actioned from a crouching position.
- Going from standing to crouching and crouching to standing is now more responsive.
- Players will now have their movement speed slightly reduced when holding a strike or striking.
» An additional tip is now present in the game informing players of this mechanic.
- Players can no longer amend the settings file to increase their melee combat sensitivity gathering advantage over others.
- Prussian Infantry Officers now come equipped with a sword which matches the length of other factions.
- Players will now display a new indicator informing them of the direction they will block or strike towards. You’ll find multiple settings to adjust this new user interface additions including its position in your game options.
- Players will display a new indicator informing them that their combat experience is impacted should they be experiencing high latency (ping). We recommend that you play on a server correct to your region.
- Introduced a tip informing players that they will instantly face their demise should they be stricken by a melee weapon while aiming or reloading.
- The mechanic will be undergoing more improvements in future updates.
Gameplay - Cavalry Units
- Hussar, Dragoon and Cuirassier class now take longer to spawn. The wave spawn timer for all cavalry-based classes has been set to 20 seconds while the infantryman retained their previous 10 second timer.
» Server administrators can configure wave spawn timers by inputting the following commands per map rotation: wave_spawn_time_seconds 10 and wave_spawn_vehicle_time_seconds 20
- Players are now immune to all damage for a maximum of 5 seconds after they spawn. Cavalrymen can quickly traverse the field of battle and make their way to the enemies’ spawn. You’ll have to think twice before attempting this rather ungentlemanly feat.
» Canyon, Fort Salettes and all Army Siege maps have their spawn immunity timer set to 2 seconds.
» Server administrators can configure spawn immunity timers by inputting the following command per map rotation: spawn_immunity_timer 5
- Strikes to the right with a sword from horseback are now swifter. The quicker slash makes for better fluidity.
- Secondary hits with a singular sword slash from horseback now deal less damage and more so than often won’t result in the player’s demise.
- Horses travelling at the slower gaits no longer trample infantryman.
- Horses no longer rear on the first shot from a firearm allowing them to continue moving. Instead, the horse will reduce its speed to the first gait. Should the horse be once again injured, it will rear consequently exposing the cavalryman to more vulnerabilities.
- Increased the volume of horse-related sounds. Pay attention to your surroundings and take action before you find yourself killed.
» You can control horse-related audio through a slider from the game’s settings.
- Players can now rebind the mount and dismount key from the key bind settings.
- Reduced the number of cavalry units available for each faction from 12 to 10 when Open Plains maps are in rotation.
- Reduced the number of cavalry units available for each faction from 8 to 6 when Causeways is in rotation.
- Reduced the number of cavalry units available on Grassy Plains 1 whilst playing on the Army Battlefield game mode to 2 Hussars and 2 Cuirassiers or Dragoons per faction.
Gameplay - Officers The Rank & File
- Line Infantry, Grenadier, Guard, Coast Guard and Marine classes now sport a new trait - ‘Orderly’. Those in the rank and file no longer make for easy pickings while following their officer’s orders. You must be standing in line in order for this trait to become active.
» It increases your chances of surviving shots from firearms at longer distances by diminishing the damage dealt while standing in formation.
» Should your shot find its way to an enemy player also standing in line, the diminishing effect will not apply. Line versus line engagements remain just as deadly.
- Score gathered by players for maiming or killing someone when standing in line has been increased to 35.
» Amended the ‘Rank & File’ ability to include the following descriptive text - ‘You gather additional score for maiming or killing someone while standing in line.’
Gameplay - Musicians
- Increased the firearm accuracy bonus provided by musicians from 7% to 8% with the bonus stacking upwards to 12% from 10% when another musician is playing a tune along.
- Musicians are now able to see line markers set by Infantry Officer so they can better follow manoeuvres by those in the rank and file.
Gameplay - Flagbearers
- Flagbearers now further increase the chances of survival to those in the ranks sporting the ‘Orderly’ trait when shot at by firearms from longer distances.
» This is in addition to the buff they provide which improves reload speed.
- Flagbearers are now able to see line markers set by Infantry Officer so they can better follow manoeuvres by those in the rank and file.
- Introduced a hint instructing players how to equip their flag when playing as a flag bearer.
» Press ‘3’ to equip your flag
Gameplay - Infantry Officers
- Infantry Officers are no longer able to tank canister or shots fired from a blunderbuss at a close-distance when being assisted by a Guard unit. Prior to this update, a bug allowed Infantry Officers not to be hit by two consecutive shots from a blunderbuss or canister.
Gameplay - Artillery & Ladders
- Increased the speed at which field guns can be moved.
- Increased the speed at which rocket launchers can be carried.
- Increased the speed at which ladders can be carried.
Gameplay - Sappers
- Countdown timers leading to a barrel’s explosion now also show if you ignite a barrel belonging to the enemy faction.
- The health indicator for the player-built chair that you’re sitting on while playing with the Sapper class no longer shows. It was rather intrusive and obstructed visibility for the fellow enjoying a moment of respite.
- Removed the ability for Sappers to construct palisades and shooting platforms on all Plains maps, Tahir Desert and Causeways in the Army Front map rotation.
Gameplay - Game Modes & Maps
- You no longer have to play on the same map following a server restart. Game servers won’t always launch with the first map defined in the map rotation come to this update.
» This new feature remains true to the set player population settings.
» Server administrators can enable or disable map randomisation on server launch by inputting the following command: map_rotation_start_randomise true or false
- Multiple changes targeting balance on Fort Salettes when playing on the Army Battlefield game mode.
» Introduced an additional entry point to the left of the fort.
» Factions now spawn to either side of the fortification and must make their way to the fort where the battle ensues. One faction no longer spawns inside the fort when the Army Battlefield game mode is playing.
- Multiple changes targeting balance on Fort Salettes when playing on the Army Siege game mode.
» Increased the health points for the fort doors leading to Fort Salettes allowing the defenders more time to mount their defence.
» Ladders on Fort Salettes must now be carried and raised adjacent to its walls. You’ll no longer find them pre-placed.
- Moved one of the base spawns present on Causeways closer to the other when the Army Conquest and Army Battlefield game mode is playing.
- Players will now find more props which can be used as cover on the Causeways game level.
- Reintroduced Snowy Plains 1 & Grassy Plains 3 to the Army Front map rotation for additional variety.
- Naval borders for the Martello Tower, Open Waters and Harouti Islands maps have been brought slightly closer to contain the engagement.
- Rotated the initial position of the carriable rocket launcher present on Desert Ruins to face towards the objective.
- Reinforcements available to the defenders whilst the Army Siege game mode is playing have been increased by the following amounts.
» Fort Christina - 35 Additional Reinforcements
» Fort Pierre - 45 Additional Reinforcement
» For Schwarz - 45 Additional Reinforcements
» Camp Salamanca - 50 Additional Reinforcements
» Desert Ruins - 40 Additional Reinforcements
» Sharpton - 30 Additional Reinforcements
» Highlands - 50 Additional Reinforcements
» Arendan River - 30 Additional Reinforcements
- Hussar, Cuirassier and Dragoon units have been made available for the attackers on the following maps while the Army Siege game mode is playing.
» Fort Christina - 1 Hussar and 1 Dragoon or Cuirassier
» Fort Pierre - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
» For Schwarz - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
» Camp Salamanca - 1 Hussar and 1 Dragoon or Cuirassier
» Sharpton - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
» Highlands - 2 Hussars and 2 Dragoons or Cuirassiers
Gameplay - Soldier Rank
- Redesigned the end of match user interface to feature your soldier rank advancement instead of the leaderboard standing.
» Score you've gathered during a round with a specific class will accumulate and contribute towards advancing your soldier's rank.
» Unique medals are awarded every 5th level.
Quality of Life
- Eliminated the use of the mouse hover when using the scoreboard. Simply make use of the scroll wheel to scroll down the scoreboard.
- Players will now display a hint next to the mini map for the first minute after they join the round informing them that they can mute other players by pressing the ‘P’ key.
» You can disable this hint through the game options - ‘General Hints’.
- You no longer zoom in and out with your camera while in free-flight mode and scrolling through the scoreboard.
- Players are now provided with the ability to pan and tilt the camera while in Cinematic or Free-flight mode by using the arrow keys.
- You can make use of the new ‘Depth of Field Focus Point’ slider in your ‘Game’ setting to make your shots look crisper when in Cinematic or Free-flight mode.
- Server administrators can now enable a command to instantly build player-built defence.
» rc set instantBuildMode true
- Server administrators are now able to enable God mode per team. Players in one faction become invincible while the others won’t.
» rc set characterGodMode 1 true - Everyone becomes invincible.
» rc set characterGodMode 2 true - The Defenders become invincible.
» rc set characterGodMode 3 true - The Attackers become invincible.
» rc set characterGodMode false - Disable invincibility.
- Solved an instance which prevented players from launching the game and get stuck viewing the ‘Anvil Game Studios’ logo.
- Solved an instance which prevented players from launching the game if the 'HoldfastOptions' settings file was deleted.
- Solved an issue which caused the spawn menu to appear in white if the player joined the round using the ‘Auto-Join’ function.
- Solved an issue with the terrain popping in and out when using free-flight mode.
- Solved an issue which prevented the French Infantry Officer from equipping a lantern while holding a sabre.
- Solved an issue with incorrect localisation for the Polish language.
- Solved an issue on the Custom Map (Land) where the Army Siege game mode wouldn’t function as intended.
- Corrected the amount of available class slots for the Cannoneer on Lamarsh Fen.
- Corrected the amount of available class slots for the Cannoneer on Snowy Plains (S).
- Solved an issue with cracks within the terrain appearing on Causeways.
- Solved an issue which caused the ‘Graphic Preset’ setting to be incorrectly labelled as ‘VSYNC’.
- Solved an issue which caused players to speed up when moving up the stairs present on Fort Winston and Fort Arena.
- Removed an invisible object that players could collide with near the barn on Camp Salamanca.
- Solved an issue where a player’s volume would be automatically set to zero once you unmute them from the Round Players ‘P’ panel.
- Solved an issue where players could sail outside the boundaries of the naval borders present on Harouti Islands.
- Solved an issue where two bells where overlaying one another on Canyon.
- Solved an issue where explosives barrels were able to kill friendly players when being carried.
- Solved an issue where if you get damaged while carrying an explosive barrel and animation that the barrel exploded would play but deal no damage.
- Solved an issue where the explosive barrel would be stuck in an endless loop of being ignited if you ignite it then someone tries to extinguish the fuse and dies in the process.
- Solved an issue where multi-kills from cannon explosions weren’t counting as assist kills for the loader.
- Solved an issue which caused text to appear broken in the scoreboard.
- Solved an issue which caused some UI elements to appear blurry when playing on the lower graphical settings.
- Solved an issue where the VoIP indicator didn’t show for the player you are spectating.
- Solved an issue where the destroyed model of the rocket launcher wouldn’t match the correct rotation of the launcher before it was destroyed.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which causes cavalry units to take flight on the Desert Ruins map.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which causes rounds to prolong when playing the Naval Battlefield game mode.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which sometimes causes the player to be unable to fire a cannon when playing on the Naval Battlefield or Coastal Siege game modes.
- Experimental fix towards an issue which causes rain sounds, horse-related sounds and musician tunes to cut off.
- Experimental fix towards an issue where the leading faction indicator on the top bar UI would sometimes show incorrectly.
- Solved an issue where you would still be presented with the UI detailing your personal leaderboard standing when the round ends even if you didn’t partake in it.
- Solved an issue where your personal leaderboard standing wouldn’t show when the round ends if you’re playing with any of the secondary Line Infantry classes, Fifers, Drummers or Violinists.
» You still retain your progress in the leaderboards with these classes as the bug was specific to the end of match user interface.
- Solved an issue where sometimes your in-game soldier rank medal wouldn’t match the one present in the leaderboards.
- Solved an issue where the ‘Soldier Rank' user interface still continued to show even if the player didn’t participate in the round in the end of match screen.
- Increased the reliability for rank retrieval showing your soldier rank after the match ends.
- Solved an issue where a continuous ticking audio cue could sometimes be heard during the end of match screen.
- Solved multiple instances where the count-down timer informing players when they’ll spawn was showing incorrectly.
- Solved multiple issues with overlapping UI elements in the spawn menu.
- Solved an issue with the Portuguese translation showing in German when hovering on traits and abilities.
- Solved an issue where sometimes players weren’t able to sit on chairs built by the Sapper class.
- Solved an issue where sword strikes from dismounted cavalrymen can sometimes be invisible for other players.
- Solved an issue where names wouldn’t show when the player is moving a field gun.
- Solved an issue where if you’re playing a tune with a musician and opt to spawn with another musician class, the music menu will open upon clicking on the spawn button.
- Solved an issue where players would die a slow painful death if they stood atop a small campfire.
- Solved an issue with the health indicators for player-built defences resetting to a random value.
- Solved an issue where voice-acted Prussian cheers, shouts, insults and commands would sometimes cut-off.
- Solved an issue where players could get stuck on map load if the server goes offline when the player is loading.
- Solved an issue where a small number of reinforcements still continued to show even if the respective faction was out of reinforcements.
- Solved an issue where score gathered from killing cavalry units wouldn’t contribute towards bettering the player’s leaderboard standing or soldier rank.
- Solved an issue where the ‘Ambience’ slider would also raise or lower the volume of tunes played by the musician class.
» Musician tunes can now be separately controlled through the ‘Musician Song’ audio slider.
- Solved an issue which caused fire cool-down timers for swivel guns and mortars not to show when playing on the Naval Battlefield, Naval Assault or Coastal Siege game modes.
- Renamed the 'Officer Reinforce Indicator' setting to 'Officer Reinforce Marker' to prevent it from clipping in the interface.
- Adjusted the visibility of horse dust particles.
- Solved multiple issues with texture parallax mapping for buildings present on Desert Ruins.
Changelog 48 - Game Version 0.42.7335.30273
General Fixes & Additions
- Solved an issue where the server’s player count could sometimes exceed the set maximum player limit. Servers will no longer show 152 / 150.
- Introduced a tip informing players that the server is full when it reaches its maximum player count.
- Solved an issue where player nameplates weren’t showing while in free-flight mode.
- Solved an issue which caused Melee Arena servers not to restart based on the set schedule if the server is empty.
- Solved an issue where the cooldown timer to fire swivel guns or mortars in the Naval Battlefield or Coastal Siege game mode would disappear if the artillery piece is loaded with a shot.
- Solved an issue where the melee combat indicator would continue showing when switching to free-flight mode.
- Solved a recurring exception which was sometimes being produced when processing an achievement on the Naval Battlefield, Naval Assault or Coastal Siege game modes.
» Players are now once again able to gather score contributing towards their leaderboard standing and soldier rank whilst playing on the Official Naval Warfront servers.
- Solved an instance which caused players to get stuck loading a map whilst playing on the Naval Battlefield, Naval Assault or Coastal Siege game mode.
- Palisade walls present next to one of the spawn points on Fort Salettes are no longer destructible.
Certainly do look forward to what we have up next in store for all of you fine folk. It's going to be brilliant.
Once again we thank you for your support and until next time, may good health be yours.
Discuss this blog post here.
Once again thank you for all of your support from all of us on the Holdfast: NaW team,
- Refleax, Rycon, Wrexial, Walki & Rejenorst
Anvil Game Studios