Assemble your infantrymen and advance your cannons as Holdfast: Nations At War adds eight new battlefields to commence fire in volleys, siege formidable fortifications or charge for King and country on! Lead others into the fray as a Scottish Officer in the new High-Command DLC and so much more.
Gather the game for a price less than that of a few quality teas as Holdfast: Nations At War embarks on a two-week long sale in celebration of this release. We look forward to welcoming plenty of new good fellows within the much-beloved community.
Come ready yourself for battle on these new grounds by taking a look at what each battlefield has to offer.
8 New Battlefields!
Take your fight into snow-covered towns, engage in fierce close-quarters combat in the streets of Heartmound, topple fortified positions with artillery pieces or stand shoulder to shoulder on plains maps during organised play.
There’s plenty to look out for in these new battlegrounds.
The rolling hills and valleys that have carved their way through this small farming and mill town prove for interesting grounds to fight on. Separated by a valley river, Autumn Watch puts enemies against enemies in gruelling battles over important river crossings, useful mortar dugouts and well-covering ruins.
When fighting in this land ensure your men remain alert as the verticality differences caused by the valleys and hills will surely lend their hand in causing death from above and below…
Fighting on the streets of the once peaceful, now garrisoned, church town of Heartmound offers an engaging battlefield to conquer. Surrounded by a small ivy-covered brick wall a holy ground can be found. The town's church makes for the centrepiece of the battlefield and will undoubtedly see its grounds spoiled through the acts of muskets and powder.
Coordination and timed assaults against the many holdouts found in and around the town will be the key to victory on this battlefield.
This old cold market town will see as many bodies fall as snowflakes do settling on its ground, either from the sharp shot of a rifleman from across open plains yonder or the silent death of hyperthermia from the freezing lakes that surround.
Though Marquette may not have the same rolling hills and valleys of the other battlefields, plenty of cover still remains, put to use the tall stretching wheatfields as cover or progress forward clearing the compounds and barns one by one.
The ancient valley running through this battlefield has laid eyes upon many iterations of the ‘war machine’ but perhaps none as powerful as that of musketry! Sacred Valley sits two opposing villages either side of a stone bridge holding them apart, infantrymen must be prepared to give their life for a greater cause.
Should attempts to cross the central bridge falter, additional flanking routes can be found adjacent to towns providing a flanking opportunity if used correctly.
This imposing fortress city, with its overlooking keep and impressive defences, has been host to many a great siege throughout its time. Long have the solid stone walls of Fort Darial held enemies at bay.
Sight the cannons and brace yourself to follow the snaking cobbled path up into what will indeed be a long but always progressive fight through the many layers this fortress presents you.
Almost every wall and defence that protects this city can succumb to the strike of a solid round shot from a trained artilleryman. Utilising these gaps in the wall will be key to capturing this snow-covered city.
Grassy Plains 4 & 5 (L)
In contrast to the other battlefields, the open fields and hills that roll through Grass Plains 4 & 5 make for a wonderful display of line battling.
You should do well to not be tricked by the simplistic yet beautiful nature of these battlefields. Though the endless green hills are a pretty sight, they quickly turn to strategic ambushing and flanking positions when used correctly against the enemy.
Island Plains 1 (L)
The exposed weathered seafront and calm inshore grassland of this battlefield culminate to a unique fighting experience that sees soldiers marching across soggy shoreline one moment and trudging up muddy hills the next
The islands that have been carved into existence over time through the estuary make for perfect vantage points to fire off desperate volleys in attempts to turn the tide of battle.
4 New Officers! High Command DLC
Muster up the men and order hails of devastating musket volley fire! Courageously lead others into the fray with the French Empire’s Polish Vistula Legion, the Prussian Kingdom’s Lützow Friekorps or the Russian Empire’s Interior Guard Battalion officers in High Command.
Honouring one of the most valiant of Scottish officers sporting the rather gentlemanly monicker of Music C***, we proudly announce that the beautifully tailored 92nd Gordon Highlanders officer uniform is now available in the very same High Command DLC. Leading those good kilt-wearing fellows can finally be done in proper style.
One will find no Scottish officer ill-equipped to lead a charge. When battling with this unit, you will spawn with a sword unique to these highlanders - The 1798 Pattern Claymore.
Content present in Holdfast: Nations At War DLCs is purely cosmetic. It doesn’t and never will impact gameplay. Your kind generosity will be put to good use and bring this genre of musket warfare games which all of us are fond of in the limelight.
The High Command DLC unlocks 4 unique uniforms for the Infantry Officer class and the 1798 Pattern Claymore.
High Command DLC Uniform Unlocks
- Unlock the British Empire’s 92nd Gordon Highlanders uniform.
- Unlock the 1798 Pattern Claymore for the British Empire’s 92nd Gordon Highlanders.
- Unlock the French Empire’s Polish Vistula Legion uniform.
- Unlock the Kingdom of Prussia’s Lützow Friekorps uniform.
- Unlock the Russian Empire’s Interior Guard Battalion uniform.
Cavalry. Horseback Movement
Having some slight troubles navigating on horseback? You’ll be glad to hear that movement has undergone a significant redesign providing those fellows on a saddle with better control of the direction they want to steer towards.
Remember that you’re still, after all, riding a mighty beast! Be sure to be wary when navigating through restrictive places.
Be sure to check out the change log for the entire list of fixes additions revolving around cavalry units.
Roleplay Gestures. Charge!
We’ll be adding more to your available arsenal of roleplay gestures in this update! Rest on your laurels as the battle ensues, order a glorious charge with your sword held forwards, taunt your enemies or in a fit of rage go full berserk pushing your adversaries into a cowardly retreat.
Localisation. 5 New Languages
Thanks to a community-wide effort, Holdfast: Nations At War has now been made available in 5 additional languages. Existing translations have also been revised correcting multiple grammatical errors.
It is always a delight to see the community grow and albeit supporting the game in another language is no simple feat, it will surely be worth the effort. Our sincere and heartfelt thanks go to all those individuals who partook in all of this.
If you’re wanting to give us a helping hand with translating the game into Thai or Vietnamese, feel free to reach out on Discord.
- Greek (Including Greek fonts)
» Fantastic & Kim Chi Choo
- Romanian (Including Romanian fonts)
» Lannes & Alexaroth
» Wilmer, Ingvarsson, Mehdi & Desert-Fox
» VectorScope & Omerhaybo
- Simplified & Traditional Chinese
» Colonel-Kyle, GBOY21, ??, Yrstar & Kamoeth
» Svatda & Fainey
» Wordsmith, Plastie, Xeha & VergerNL
» Persess, Ric le Rouge, Ragnar & Skyold
» Friedrich, Matsooo, Carmino, Gabellinski, Husar, Edward Braddock, Bastelork & Lucrime
» Barba Rossa, Andrea, Aranos92, Meschia & Jack Aubrey
- Portuguese - Brazil
» Tatic & Rex
» Paul, Yav4ik & Bashy
» OGNrazer, Fischer, Loii, Arsen & Rayzax
The Crew Grows. Storey
Sound the salute as a widely known long-standing member of the community has enlisted with the crew as a Level Designer. Join us in giving this most talented fellow - STOREY the warmest of welcomes! You can already see some of his work in this major update release.
He’ll be working hand in hand with Rycon, our Lead 3D Artist to bring you more battlefields with unique style and gameplay. Most certainly look forward to what he has in store for Holdfast.
Community. Join The Discord!
Looking for a good bunch of fellows to play with? Do join our Discord. Linebattle events where players are encouraged to play in formations relevant to the Napoleonic era are hosted by the community through the week. Discord is also a great place to stay in touch with the game’s development.
If you’re a fellow in the ranks of a regiment, go declare your enlistment. Through this, you can gather access to the 'Barracks' where clan specific discussion ensues. We look forward to seeing you there!
There’s more to look out for in this release. Check out the changelog for all the details.
Changelog 57 - Game Version 1.8.7557.25731
- 8 New Maps! Take your fight into snow-covered towns, engage in fierce close-quarters combat in the streets of Heartmound, topple fortified positions with artillery pieces or stand shoulder to shoulder on plains maps during organised play.
» Autumn Watch
» Sacred Valley
» Fort Darial
» Grassy Plains 4 (L)
» Grassy Plains 5 (L)
» Island Plains 1 (L)
- Input the following command per map rotation to host any of these maps on your community servers.
» map_name autumnwatch
» map_name heartmound
» map_name marquette
» map_name sacredvalley
» map_name fortdarial
» map_name grassyplainsiv
» map_name grassyplainsv
» map_name islandplains
- 4 New Officers! High Command DLC. Unlock four new Infantry Officers uniforms for each of the existing factions in the High Command DLC. You can access the Steam Store page to unlock these uniforms directly through the game. Content present in Holdfast: Nations At War Game DLCs is purely cosmetic. It doesn’t and never will impact gameplay.
» Unlock the British Empire’s 92nd Gordon Highlanders uniform.
» Unlock the Claymore for the British Empire’s 92nd Gordon Highlanders. This weapon is a cosmetic override for the officer’s sword.
» Unlock the French Empire’s Polish Vistula Legion uniform.
» Unlock the Kingdom of Prussia’s Lützow Friekorps uniform.
» Unlock the Russian Empire’s Interior Guard Battalion uniform.
- Players can toggle off the claymore cosmetic override should they wish to do so by deselecting ‘High Command Weapon Skin’ through the game’s settings.
- Roleplay Gestures. Charge! We’ll be adding more to your available arsenal of roleplay gestures in this update! Rest on your laurels as the battle ensues, order a glorious charge with your sword held forwards, taunt your enemies or in a fit of rage go full berserk pushing your adversaries into a cowardly retreat.
» Check out the full selection of roleplay gestures by pressing the ‘V’ key and clicking on the pictogram.
- Localisation. 5 New Languages. Thanks to a community-wide effort, Holdfast: Nations At War has now been made available in 5 additional languages.
» Greek (Including Greek fonts)
» Romanian (Including Romanian fonts)
- Existing translations have also been revised correcting multiple grammatical errors.
» Simplified & Traditional Chinese
» Portuguese - Brazil
Gameplay - Cavalry Units
- Movement has undergone a significant redesign providing those fellows on a saddle with better control of the direction they want to steer towards.
» Remember that you’re still, after all, riding a mighty beast. Be sure to be wary when navigating through restrictive places.
- Solved an issue which sometimes caused players to get stuck holding a strike when feinting to another strike direction while on horseback.
- Striking with your sword at an environment object whilst on horseback will now properly play an animation showing the melee weapon retracting back. Same will occur when two cavalrymen swords clash with one another.
- Solved an instance which caused players to end up facing the wrong direction if they got kicked and immediately mounted a horse.
Gameplay - Melee Combat
- Increased the speed at which players can feint from one strike direction to another for all weapons.
- Solved multiple instances where players could issue a ghost or lightning strikes with a melee weapon.
- Solved an issue which caused musket down stabs to have a wider hit detection not reflective of the actual strike animation. It only occurred when players were stricken from up close and facing a particular direction.
Gameplay - Forward Positions
- You will no longer benefit from spawn protection immunity when spawning on forward positions placed by Infantry Officers.
- The attacking faction is now allowed to place forward positions in limited numbers when the Army Siege game mode is in play with the exception of Fort Salettes.
- Introduced additional functionality allowing server administrators to define which team to disable the ‘Reinforce’ ability for.
» Input the following command per map rotation to host any of these maps on your community servers: class_system_orders_reinforce true, false, attacking or defending.
» Where ‘true’ allows the ability to be used by both teams, ‘false’ allows the ability to be used by none of the team, ‘attacking’ to be used only by the attackers and ’defending' to be used only by the defenders.
- Reinforcements for the defending faction on specific Army Siege maps have also been increased due to the above addition.
- Solved issues with forward positions on Desert Ruins.
- Added punctuation to the message received when an officer cannot place a forward position due to them being too close to a base spawn.
Gameplay - Player Controller
- You will no longer go to a standing position when switching between weapons while crouching.
- Solved an instance where players could spawn outside the map on Fort Winston when selecting to spawn on a forward position.
- Players will now receive a notification encouraging them to join the regiment’s Discord upon enlisting with a regiment through the regiment registry. Make sure to correctly set a link to your Discord directly through the registry if you haven’t done so already!
» First navigate to view your regiment, then select ‘Manage’ and input a link to your Discord in the ‘Edit Discord Connection’ field.
» Ensure that the invite link you input does not expire and can be granted to an unlimited number of users.
- Reduced the requirement to obtain the Ranker achievement to 100 players.
- Server administrators are now able to select a pre-set name a naval vessel spawns with through the ‘spawn_ships’ command.
» Input the following command per map rotation to define a pre-set name: spawn_ships <shiptype> <number> <faction> <color> <nameindex>
- The ‘rc spawnships’ command now returns the name and ship ID to the console making it easier to use the rc removeShips <ship ID> command.
- The ‘rc spawnships’ command will now refuse to spawn ships on the defender’s side when the Coastal Siege game mode instead of assigning them to the attackers.
- Server administrators can now opt to disallow players from spawning with the base selection of uniforms and only allow that of modded ones. Should you want to create a scenario stretching outside that of the Napoleonic era, this has now been made possible.
» Input the following command per map rotation to disallow players from spawning with the base selection of uniforms: exclusive_modded_uniforms true
Quality of Life
- You are now provided with the options to play the game in ‘Borderless Fullscreen’ mode in addition to the previously supported ‘Fullscreen’ and ‘Windowed’ modes.
» Switch between these different screen modes through the game’s video settings.
- You will no longer have the ‘Escape’ menu show stopping your character from moving if you ‘ALT+TAB’ the game.
- You can now access the game’s configuration file by going to ‘Settings’ then ‘Game’ and eventually selecting the ‘Open’ button next to the ‘Config File’ option.
- Reduced the cooldown for roleplay gestures from 8 to 2 seconds.
- Players that disband a regiment will now receive a warning stating that they will be unable to create or enlist in another regiment for 7 days upon doing so.
- Optimisations targeting a specific subset of hardware will see map loading times reduced.
Graphical & Bug Fixes
- Solved an issue with the ‘Present Arms’ roleplay gestures not looping correctly.
- Solved an issue with golden borders for banners not showing correctly when a regiment reaches Rank 50.
- Solved an issue with the shacko’s colour appearing incorrect on the French ‘85eme Regiment d’Infanterie’ Line Infantry unit.
- Solved an issue where if you spawn with the blue uniform variant of the French sailor, you would spawn with that of the red one.
- You are no longer able to build Rocket Stacks whilst playing as the defenders on Fort Schwarz and the Army Siege game mode is in play.
- You are no longer able to build Rocket Stacks on Fort Christina and the Army Siege game mode is in play.
- You are no longer able to build Rocket Stacks on Fort Salettes and Canyon.
- Improved the loading screen for Lamarsh Fen.
Once again, we thank you and until next time, may good health be yours.
Discuss this blog post here.
Once again thank you for all of your support from all of us on the Holdfast: NaW team,
- Refleax, Rycon, Dreas, Wrexial, Walki, Cameron, Jackson, Rejenorst, Harper & Storey
Anvil Game Studios